Building on traditions

The building was built in 1871–2 as a branch of the London Joint Stock Bank, to serve the meat-trade firms drawn to the area by the new Smithfield Market and to replace a temporary branch further up St John Street which had been opened in 1869.

The architect was Lewis Henry Isaacs, of the practice Isaacs and Florence, and the builders Browne & Robinson, who were also the contractors for Smithfield Market.

Smithfield Market

In 1860 the City of London obtained through an act of Parliament, permission to construct new buildings on the Smithfield site. Work began in 1866, above the newly connected London railway enabling meat to be delivered directly to the market from every part of the country.

1945

Charterhouse Street was the location of one of the worst V2 explosions of the war with more than 110 deaths.

1958

Two firefighters lost their lives at a tragic blaze at Smithfield Market, 23 January 1958.

1972

The London Joint Stock Bank became a Midland bank and then it was sold and Barclays bank undertook the lease of the ground floor in 1972.

2021

89 Charterhouse Street now 7,631 sq ft of considered and thoughtfully refurbished office space, within a landmark building featuring two new floors with feature glazed roof lights.

Future museum

Stanton Williams and Asif Khan have been chosen to design a new Museum of London at Smithfield Market.